Impressionists Had It Right - The Colors That You Don't See

(click for larger images)

I took this dramatic photo with my underwater camera while I was standing in the surf on Cabbage Beach in the Bahamas.  I had just been spearfishing and filming underwater.  When I emerged, I saw this rainstorm off in the distance.  I fired a single frame, and it provided the dramatic picture.

Just on a whim, I fed it into photoshop and dialed up the saturation.  Imagine my surprise when the colors showed up.  The impressionist painters had it right.  Somehow they could see the colors that are muted and hidden from the rest of us.  There are orange, yellows, greens, magentas and of course, a zillion shades of blue.

The impressionists really had it right when it came to color, light and painting.

No comments: