Book Review: A Short History of Nearly Everything

Books that are significant to me sometimes arrive at my doorstep in different ways. The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil, which whetted my appetite for Artificial Intelligence was given to me by my daughters for Christmas. Total Recall by Gordon Bell has the basis of my current business venture in Nassau. It was given to me by the Lovely One for Christmas last year. My latest read came to me in a different way as well.

Just before I had returned to Nassau, I took a walk with my friends Danny and Danielle in the emerging spring countryside in the hills of Quebec. Lying on the side of the road, was a discarded book, thrown out of a car window. I picked it up. I riffled through it, and it looked readable. Since I had a plane ride coming up, I figured that I would read the book on the plane.

The book was originally published in 2003. It is by one of my favourite authors, Bill Bryson. The title is A Short History of Nearly Everything. In very readable terms, it is a narrative of humankind's science journey from the Big Bang to where we are today. It gives the history of Darwin, Einstein and other science luminaries in a highly readable form. The book is actually a page turner, and I enjoyed it extremely.

A Short History of Nearly Everything integrates the stories of discoveries in chemical, physics, biology and cosmology. It is like the Discovery Channel in book form. Each chapter is fascinating and it illuminates and explains science like I have never read before. Yet it never gets technical and is highly readable.

If you ever seen this book in a library or on a bookshelf, pick it up. It is an enjoyable read, and you won't regret it.

No comments: