Well, I did walk around the Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational Golf Tournament this morning. I met my friend Yves from Montreal who is working here in the islands. He volunteered at the event, and he was wearing his red MJ Nike cap that was autographed by none other than Wayne Gretzky -- a fitting souvenir for a Canadian.
I also met a guy who worked for Sports Illustrated Magazine, and the professional autograph seekers that I have come to know over the past three years. I left before noon, and I think that Adrian Young and Brandi Chastain were leading at -7. Michael Jordan was playing with Wayne Gretzky and they were even.
In the above photo, from left to right Brian Baumgartner (actor from The Office) in light blue shirt; Wayne Gretzky (dark blue shirt and shorts), caddie, Michael Jordan, Vince Coleman and caddie.
The matchups went this way
1. Vince Coleman and Brian Baumgartner at -1 vs. Jordan and Gretzky who were even.
2. Paul O'Neill and Don Cheadle at -2 vs. Marcus Allen and Mia Hamm who were at -1. Hamm's caddie was her husband Nomar Garciaparra, the ex-shortstop for the Boston Red Sox.
3. John Smoltz and Julius (Dr. J) Irving at -4 vs. Kenny Lofton and Grant Show at -3.
4. Roger Clemens and Ben Roethlisberger at -5 vs. Brett Hull and Janet Gretzky at -4.
5. Adrian Young and Brandi Chastain at -7 vs. Mario Lemieux and Mike Piazza at -6.
6. Don Jansen and Stone Phillips at +4 vs. Eric Dickerson and Alan Thicke at +5.
7. Penny Hardaway and Chris Tucker at +2 vs. Chris Doleman and Richard Dent at +3.
8. Aidan Quinn and Flex Alexander at +1 vs. Jerome Bettis and Michael Wilbon at +2. (I had to look Wilbon up -- he is a sportswriter and columnist and ESPN type).
9. Billy Crudup and Angie Everhart at Even vs. Lawrence Taylor and Charles Oakley at Even.
10. Ken Griffey Jr. and Alonzo Mourning at Even.
It looks like a lot of the celebs chose not to participate in the final two days, and the last MJ tournament in the Bahamas.