Thing in Melitta Coffee Bag Explained

A couple of blog entries ago (click here to see the entry) I mentioned that I found a weird plastic thing inside the coffee bag. Here are the pics:





I sent the following email to Melitta:

Hello:

I just purchased a bag of Melitta Hawaiian Estate coffee. Upon opening the bag, there was a little plastic button glued to the inside of the bag. It looks like some sort of capsule. Can you please tell me function of this. Does it have toxic substances in it. Does it contain silica?

I am very curious as to the function and composition of this object. Does it add an adulterant to the coffee?

I just got the following email back:

Thank you for choosing Melitta. We appreciate your interest in our products.

The plastic valve is a one way valve that lets oxygen out of the bag so that freshness is assured. It is made out of plastic and does not contain any substance.

I hope this answers your question. If we could assist you further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

S.Zapata

Consumer Relations


So there you have it. It is a one-way valve. I'll have to test this when I get home from the office.

No comments: