Crime Waves

I was talking to an acquaintance yesterday who had a motor stolen from his boat. The replacement cost is $10,000. In this recession, nothing is safe in these tropical islands. The loss to him was that he would be unable to go lobster fishing this season. Many amateur lobster fisherman are not going on the water, because they cannot afford to fix their boat engines.

As the situation gets more desperate, the robbers and thieves become more brazen. I was talking to a woman who's daughter was forced out her car at gunpoint, and her wallet and cellphone were taken.

The one bit of good news is that the bulk of the crime wave does not happen in the tourist areas, and I live and work in those areas. For example, my BMW was stuck in airport for five weeks, and it was quite apparent that the car was there for a while. I have disc brakes on all four wheels, and the disk rotors are usually shiny, but had a thin patina of rust on them from all of the rain. There was stuff in the trunk, and my transponder to go on the bridges to Paradise Island for free. All of this was untouched.

And speaking of the BMW, I finally have a new key and I am driving my car again. It was all thanks to Bob and Jamie at Otto's BMW Center in Ottawa Canada. No other BMW dealer in this hemisphere would help me, especially since the Beamer is a right-hand drive car.

So the beat goes on. Thank goodness that other than the Lovely One's mugging attempt, we haven't been touched by the crime wave, and we intend to keep it that way.

No comments: