Potcake Says II


I'm thinking that "Potcake Says" will become a regular feature on this blog. If you will recall, I have featured Potcake before. He is a homeless itinerant vendor who sells found hubcaps from a shopping cart. He also owns a cell phone. And when the mood strikes him, he takes a piece of cardboard and posts pithy sayings on the back of his mobile business ... er shopping cart. He is pictured above.

His name is Tommy, and he is 55 years old. The reason that I know this is that on his birthday, he was begging for cash birthday presents. His birthday was in the September time frame.

Today I was driving back from the supermarket and I snapped this pic of Potcake, idly spinning a spinner hubcap, trying to sell it to the passing motorists. Not only does he have a current saying, but he just pasted over his last epigram.

Today his saying was:

"Potcake says: Smart People Feed Dumb People"

The one underneath said:
"Potcake says: You were made by Sweet-talk."

The first time that I featured Potcake, his epigram was:
"Potcake says Cheap People work you for nothing."

When I first saw Potcake a year ago, he had a sign saying:
"Potcake Says: I Am Mad as Hell and Not going to take it".

I was a bit intimidated, and thought that he was the vanguard of social revolution. It turns out that he is just editorialising.

I must admit publicly, that I am quietly experimenting with Potcake. I know that he makes his living by peddling stuff that he finds. For some reason or another, one of my software engineers when he departed for up north, he left a ratty powder blue suit at the office. It was a used suit, and he was going to hang it on the fence with a note saying "Free Suit".

I took the suit and hang it on a tree near where Potcake frequents. A day later the suit was gone. I was waiting for it to appear on his cart, but so far no dice. I am going to try and leave a bag of used golf balls for him to find, and see what he charges for them.

No comments: