Soursop

I have hired my friends Bob & Derek, both software engineers to join me here in the Caribbean for the final push to develop the software for the swipe/RFID card combining the e-Wallet with the stored value card, and texting cash by cell phone text message.

Bob and I were to meet Derek to go snorkelling over a twin engine Piper aircraft that had crashed into the ocean and lay in about 30 feet of water. As we were proceeding to the site, we stopped at the Haitian fruit stand. I bought seagrapes, oranges, guineps and a soursop. This was the first soursop that I ever tasted. It cost me $4.00 for the thing.

According to Wikipedia, the soursop is a broadleaf flowering evergreen tree native to the North American tropics, and is the same family as the pawpaw. It is also known as guanĂ¡bana, graviola, Annona muricata, and Guanabanus muricatus.

The woman who sold it to me, said that the best use was as an ice cream ingredient. The soursop was hard, and I was to wait until it was extremely soft, and then freeze the mushy fruit inside, seeds and all. The seeds are hard and inedible, but you spit them out as you ate the ice cream.

I waited until the fruit was soft, and didn't freeze it, but ate it with a spoon. It was mushy, sugary yet intensely sour. It was like eating a custard apple mixed with Sweet Tarts-- the extremely sour powder candy that we ate as kids. The thing has some serious pucker power to it, even though the juice is sticky and sweet. It is used to make sorbet, candy, agua fresca drinks, and fruit bars.

The soursop is used as bush medicine here as well. Here is a direct quote from Wikipedia:

Nutritionally, the fruit is high in carbohydrates, particularly fructose. The fruit also contains significant amounts of vitamin C, vitamin B1, and vitamin B2. The fruit, seeds, and leaves have a number of herbal medicinal uses among indigenous peoples of regions where the plant is common.

In the Caribbean it is believed that laying the leaves of the soursop on a bed below a sleeping person with a fever will break the fever by the next morning. Also, boiling the leaves and drinking may help induce sleep.
The tea, fruit, and juice are used medicinally to treat illness ranging from stomach ailments to worms.


It was a chore to eat the entire soursop. It was the size of very very big softball. I don't think that I will eat it again because of another line that I read in Wikipedia:

Research carried out in the Caribbean has suggested a connection between consumption of soursop and atypical forms of Parkinson's disease due to the very high concentration of annonacin.

YIKeS !!!
************

The Daily Bread of Source Code

Here is my daily bread of source code. In my IPAQ farebox application, I want the application to connect to my particular WiFi SSID or wireless network called by name. So I put in a network change listener that fires whenever there is a change in the list of WiFi available networks.

I have to use the following library:

using System.Net;

Then in my declarations, I have the following:

//Monitoring number of network connections
SystemState network;
ConnectionManager oCon;


In the load method after component initialize, I have the following code to initialize the listener:

network = new SystemState(SystemProperty.ConnectionsNetworkCount); network.Changed += new ChangeEventHandler(network_Changed);
oCon = new ConnectionManager();

And then I have the following method:

///
/// network_Changed
///

///
///
/// this is the method called by the event handler. It's whole purpose is that
/// when the change is fired by the callback, the number of network connections
/// has changed.

void network_Changed(object sender, ChangeEventArgs args) {

DestinationInfoCollection oInfo = new DestinationInfoCollection();
foreach (DestinationInfo d in oInfo)
{
if (d.Description == "mySSidstring")
{
try
{
oCon.Connect(d.Guid, true, ConnectionMode.Asynchronous);
}
catch (Exception vb)
{
ErrorString = vb.Message;
}
}
}
}



There you go -- an easy way to connect to a named SSID or wireless network using C#, WinCE 6.0 in the compact .Net framework.

No comments: