Things found in the ocean

Hurricane Kyle just blew by and we had magnificent breakers at the beach. Yesterday they were ten feet high as they pounded the shore. Along with moving tons and tons of sand, they blew up a pile of objects.

Some of my most notable beachcombing finds come just after a hurricane blows through. For example, I now have a spare snorkel mask -- a dandy US Divers low profile mask with tempered glass lenses and silicone fittings.

Sunglasses are a big find. Usually they are pitted from being sandblasted in the surf. Just today, I was walking to Snorkeller's Reef with the Lovely One and came across a pair of Oakleys lying on the beach, but the lenses were so pitted from the surf that they were unusable. However I did find a pair of Sergio Tachinni sunglasses that fell off a boat in deep water. They were not tossed around in the sand, and they are in perfect shape. I wear them today. I googled them, and they cost 80 English pounds -- over $150 dollars. I find a lot of broken sunglasses with the lenses popped out as well.

The most amazing thing that I found this week, was single pill, undamaged and not wet. I went to a pill identification site on the internet, and it is Forte Oral. This medication is used for the temporary relief of runny/stuffy nose and other symptoms (e.g., ear congestion, watery/itchy eyes, itchy throat) that may be caused by allergies, hay fever, the common cold, sinus inflammation (sinusitis), and other breathing illnesses. It is pictured inset.

I believe that if I wait long enough, the ocean will bring me any object that I desire. It may not be in working condition, but it will arrive at my feet courtesy of the waves. Unfortunately this is true for a lot of garbage as well.

No comments: