The Lord Vishnu RoRo

Every time I pass the wharf, I idly check to see how many cruise ships are in port. The other day, as I looked over, I was astounded by a monster of a ship with no windows. It towered over the cruise ship next to it.

I immediately contacted my friend who is a ship's captain in a major shipping concern here. He told me that the boat was a RoRo -- Roll on, Roll off ship that carried automobiles.

He also told me that automobiles are relatively light cargo and the high freeboard makes the thing tricky to navigate in winds.

This was the press release for this relatively new ship which held its maiden voyage on June 30th, 2008:

Tsuneishi Shipbuilding Company of TSUNEISHI Holdings Corporation (Head Office: Fukuyama-city Hiroshima, CEO: Katsushige Kambara) held a naming and hand-over ceremony on June 27th of a 5,100 car carrier for the NYK Line corporation, which was ordered by United Ocean Singapore (CEO: Vipan Sharma) at the Tadotsu Factory (Tadotsu-cho, Nakatado-gun, Kagawa Prefecture). The ship was named “LORD VISHNU” by Koji Miyahara, CEO of the NYK Line Corporation, and his wife cut the ribbon for the ship’s maiden voyage.


Major Features
Type: 5,100 car carrier
Name: “LORD VISHNU”
Flag: Singapore
Length: 179.9 meters
Width: 32.2 meters
Depth: 34.8 meters
Gross Tonnage: 51,917 tons
Main Engine: MITSUI MAN-B&W7S60MC-C
Service Speed: About 19.3 knots
Class: Nippon Kaiji Kyokai

As they say in these islands "Mudda sic, dat's one big ship!".

No comments: