The Lucayan Artifact

Last Monday was a national holiday in this Caribbean country. It was called Whit Monday. The Lovely One and I took off to this secluded beach in a national park. We took a picnic lunch, refreshments and all of our beach equipment. We had a marvellous day.

The Lovely One and I decided to go snorkelling. As we were walking along the beach, I found a grey old piece of coral. It was a cylinder about 5 inches long, and the top of it was carved with a knob. It looked like a version those old clothes pegs -- the type without the hinge.

I picked up it, showed it to the Lovely One and pitched it aside. I didn't think much more of it. Then after snorkelling, the Lovely One and I went for a walk. This area is a heritage historic national park. We were reading the historic plaques along the walkway.

We came along to one explaining a ruined stone house, as that of a plantation owner from 1785 who owned slaves. Then we came across another plaque saying that this very beach was the home of the Lucayan Indians from 1000 AD to 1500 AD. The Lucayans are a Spanish name for the Arawak Indians, and the word is somehow deriviative of a word for Village People. I immediately started singing " Y ... M .... C ..... A". After all, the Village People have an Indian as well. The Lovely One has learned to ignore me.

Anyway, the plaque also had depictions of some of the artifacts that archeologists had found. Since the Lucayanas didn't have access to hard stone for tools, they carved coral. They showed a coral tool. It was exactly the thing that I picked up on the beach and casually tossed away.

I went back to try and find my priceless historic artifact that could have been 1000 years old. No dice. I search high and low on the beach, and I couldn't find it again. There is no sense and going back and looking for it, because the tides will wash it away. This was the closest that I have ever been to owning a prehistoric tool.

No comments: