Aptitude Test

The Lovely One snapped this pic yesterday. This says it all about how the sleepy tropics used to be. The main drag is busy and dirty, but there are some quiet spots on the island. Contrast this to next week, where I may be in New York with a team to valuate some telecom assets in the Caribbean. It's been a while since I have been to New York, and I look forward to see how I will react going from the tropics to the Big Apple.

Speaking of the tropics, I am in a hiring mode. I want to hire some programmers. Since the schools here do not teach J2EE, and object oriented programming, I figure that I will hire bright people and give them on the job training. The first interview did not go well. The young man didn't seem to have any aptitude at all.

To see if they have critical thinking skills, I devised a simple test. Some of the test is whimsical. Some of it is trivial. I will give them 15 minutes to do it. Could you pass my test? Here are the questions:

1.A ball and bat costs $1.10. If the ball costs $1 more than the bat, what is the cost of each.

2.What is the next number in the series 1,1,2,3,5,8,...

3.A fisherman was asked how long was the fish he had caught. He said "it is 30 inches plus half its length" How long was the fish?

4.If 5 machines build 5 widgets in 5 minutes, how long will 100 machines take to build 100 widgets?

5.There are 8 Apples on the table, you take 3. How many do you have?

6."I will bet you $1" said Fred, "that if you give me $2, I will give you $3 in return." "Done," replied Tom. Who is the winner in this scenario and why?

7.There are 10 Birds in a field. 2 were shot, how many were left?

8.At a round robin tennis tournament, players are matched against each other for a game. The winner of each game continues on. The losers must drop out of the tournament. How many matches are required to be played to determine a winner if 47 players are in the tournament.

9.You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position are you in?

10.Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10. What is the total?

11.What do you do if your computer screen shuts off every time consistently after 20 minutes?

12.How do you copy your computer screen and paste it?

13.What is the keyboard command to paste?

14.What is a firewall?

15.What does RAID stand for?

No comments: