Custard Apple



The Lovely One and I were out to the western part of the island on a leisurely drive when we saw a colourful fruit stand run by a Haitian woman and her husband. We get out of the car to examine her wares. I pick up a fruit that looks like a giant green pine cone and ask what it is. She tells me that it is a custard apple, or a sugar apple or in Haitian, a Kashiman. She further informs me that it is not ripe.

I set it down. The old man who helps run the stand can barely speak English, but he hands me the fruit pictured above. It is a ripe version of the green fruit. The woman wants a dollar for it. It is worth a taste adventure. After buying some other stuff (report on tamarinds tomorrow), we take it home to try it out.

It certainly was ripe. It was soft all over, and it looked like it had gone too far. Was I wrong. It was THE most magnificent richest fruit that both the Lovely One and I have ever tasted. It has the consistency of custard, but tastes like apple pie with ice cream! It was amazingly delicious. It was wonderfully sweet, with sugar granules in the fruit.

I saved the seeds from this fruit, and you can bet that I am going to try and grow it. Wikipedia says that the fruit grows on an evergreen bush that can reach up to 30 feet high. The good news is that a 100 gram portion of this fruit contains up to 44.4 milligrams of vitamin C and 6.6 grams of crude fiber. It is high in iron, and the oil from the seeds (Fatty-acid methyl esters) meets all of the major biodiesel requirements. When I grow my orchards of these things, I will be an oil tycoon. .... singing "Come and listen to my story about a man named Jed ... er whatever"

No comments: