Caimito


A colleague at the office brought in a bag of what he called starfruit. I have seen starfruit before -- the yellow carambola star fruit that when sliced produces a five pointed star. This starfruit is different. When you cut it open, you get a star.

The fruit is delicious. It is sweet, and the juice is milky white. The large seeds are surrounded in a gelatinous seed case. They are wonderful at room temperature, and when they are chilled, it is like eating an ice cream fruit.

I have eaten a lot of tropical fruit and I never have run into this star fruit. The old timers here in this tropical paradise also call it star apple.

Google is my friend and I had to find out what this amazing fruit was. This is what Wikipedia had to say about it:

Chrysophyllum cainito is a tropical tree of the family Sapotaceae, native to the lowlands of Central America and the West Indies. It grows rapidly and reaches 20 m in height.
It has numerous common names including cainito, caimito, star apple, golden leaf tree, abiaba, pomme de lait, estrella, and aguay. It is also known by the synonym Achras caimito.


I have all these fantasies of introducing it into the North American market and becoming the starfruit or Caimito king as it is properly known. There is only one fly in the ointment with this scenario -- the tree grows quickly but takes 7 years to fruit. I can't wait that long, however I am saving all of my Caimito seeds in case I change my mind.

No comments: