Northern Reflections

I had to depart from this tropical paradise on a business trip to the cold north. We maintain a house in the hills back home.

A friend met me at the airport and dropped me off at home. When I arrived, I couldn't access the house. The snowbank was over four and half feet high and about six feet long. It had a solid frozen patina on it. I climbed over and on the other side, there was a soft spot in the crust. I sank thigh deep in the snow bank. I could not move. There was only one way to get out. I had to roll out.

My computer bag filled with snow. Moisture got into my digital camera and ruined it. The following morning, I could not make it out of the driveway.

I decided to make the entrance way into our house a lot more user friendly. I got a shovel and dug for two hours. I dug a notch into the snow bank. It was about three and a half feet wide and about six feet long. At least one didn't have to be a hill climber to get into the house.

To free the car, I had to dig a similar notch to access the garage, road salt and bags of gravel. It only took me an hour to dig my way into the garage.

Once I had my supplies, it only took me an hour and a half to get the car out of the driveway.

Throughout the whole week, the sun shone for a mere eight or nine hours. The rest of the time, the skies were gun-metal grey.

Needless to say, I am glad to be back in the tropics.

No comments: