Lifestyle Voyeur


I am a bit of a voyeur into people's lives. If I find a grocery list in a shopping cart, I will read it to see what they are buying. This gives me clues as to how other people live their lives. If I see a scrap of paper with a note, I will pick it up and read it. I think that these little bits of everyday minutiae are fascinating.

The Lovely One and I were sightseeing in a rich enclave on this island paradise. As we were entering a beautiful island church, I stopped to pick up the above note. It was fascinating for several reasons.

The top of it says: Court of Friends. Apparently this note is a bit of legalese in these kids world. I remember that as a child, my friends and I would try to emulate the adult world as a way of asserting authority over the other kids. We had our kangaroo courts, much the same way that the kids did it in William Golding's Lord of the Flies. If you couched a proceeding in pseudo-legalese, it lent credence to your will.

The other fascinating aspect of this is the golf cart deal. Because of the gated community, everyone drives golf carts. They are all that is necessary and much cheaper than cars, and the kids can drive them.

And that brings up the third aspect -- It looks as if the Robert guy is an adult, judging by his signature. It looks as if some girl child has conned the use of a golf cart out of an adult.

There could be all sorts of stories here. The most cogent one, is that privileged kids live in a gated community and drive around golf carts.

No comments: