The Colors of the Wind

There are two ways to mix primary colors to get the spectrum. The first is the additive process where you start with Red, Yellow and Blue. These components form the color wheel that we all learned in primary school when we mixed poster paints.

The second is the subtractive process where you start with Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Cyan is the complement of red, meaning that cyan acts like a filter that absorbs red. The amount of cyan applied to a paper will control how much red will show. Magenta is the complement of green, and yellow the complement of blue. Combinations of different amounts of the three inks can produce a wide range of colors. This mixture of cyan, magenta, yellow and black is called CMYK.

I decided that I would create my own CMYK system by sampling the colors of objects in this tropical paradise. I got the cyan from the strip running down above the lateral line of the jack that I got spearfishing with my Hawaiian sling. The jack was terrorizing a school of baitfish when he ran into me. The cyan strip down his silver body is magnificent, and I sampled the color in Photoshop.

The magenta came from the bouganvillea bush by our gate. It is a magnificent shade and not three steps away, is the yellow flower growing on our fence. These are the colors of this tropical paradise. They are not some color wheel -- they are the colors of this country, and they are magnificent.

1 comment:

C&M said...

Thanks for that early post. I was just developing my blog for a class - but have taken a personal stake in learning how to use blogs. So far I think I can say that I've passed stage one. What do you think?

By the way, your example and post on CYMK is great. Good job. Love the colors.

P.S.: When I'm done developing my photography website I will add the link for the public to see.